Monday, May 9, 2011

The last 'few' tomatoes...

OK, house news is a little thin on the ground owing to the fact that I only posted something the other day so I thought I might regale you with a vegie garden story.

Last night we had quite a frost, so today when I was out at the house I decided it was a good time to pick the last "few" tomatoes as the frost will have done in the plants. I even brought along a little basket to put them in and grabbed some scissors that I keep in the glove box to cut them. Once I had filled the basket AND the tea towel I'd originally lined it with, I decided I might just duck back to the rental house, grab a bigger basket and my secateurs (the scissors were giving me a blister).




I ended up with 287 tomatoes of varying sized and shades weighing nearly 13kg (that's more than 28lb for mates in the USA or old folk!) The best part of the tomato story is that I didn't even plant them, all of the plants self-seeded from last year's tomatoes - manna from Mother Earth!

So, now I need you to forward any good Green Tomato recipes that you know to debwain(at)gmail.com, failing that I might have to fry them and open my own Whistle Stop Cafe.
Deb :)

PS The latest house news is that Nic is busy spraying paint around with a sprayer we've hired for the day and when I left with my booty of tomatoes, the builders were putting up the wire 'railings' (for want of a better word) on the upstairs balcony (well, two of them were and the other one was leaning on the top rail and watching...)

5 comments:

  1. Holy S%&* !

    What a bounty !

    Brilliant !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi five!

    What a bumper crop.

    What else do you have growing over there?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you'll be eating relish for a loooong time :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Greg, I know, cool right?!

    @ Gav, uhh, nuthin'! Actually we had some strawberries and we've got some garlic in there. I'm going to put some winter veg in soon. I'm inspired.

    @ Cathy, recipes please!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Liz Spillane has some good recipes on A & B Tress Facebook page

    ReplyDelete